Dec 31, 2012

Remembering Papa Jerry


December 6, 2012 the world lost a wonderful person. My Grandpa Bassett passed away at the young age of 90. I can’t seem to put it into words how special he was in my heart for being a wonderful Grandpa but also because of how much he loved Ryan and Carson as well. Talking about and seeing Carson was a highlight for him. He would tell anyone he could about little Carson. I cherish every memory I have with him and will miss him dearly.

I was lucky to grow up with my Grandpa always in Currie with me but I was even more fortune when Ryan and I lived in AZ. They lived no more than 2 miles away from us at all times and from this, Ryan was able to form a special relationship with my Grandpa as well. My daily stops to their house were a highlight of my day.

My Grandpa always told me he thought he was going to die when he was 83 years old because that is when his dad and brothers all died. So for years, I have been praying that my Grandpa would see me marry Ryan, which he did. I then prayed that he would meet my first child, which he did. I then prayed that Carson would get to know his Papa Jerry which he did and for all of that I am thankful.

I am very thankful for all the times that Carson was with his Papa Jerry. This fall, we had numerous visits and from this Carson knows his Papa Jerry. He loved playing with is walker and playing catch with Papa. Papa Jerry bought Carson his Red Radio Flyer Wagon and loved watching him play with it. Carson loved getting the numerous (more than I wanted) Candies and Cookies from my Grandpa and if you ask Carson what Papa Jerry gives him he says very quickly "Candy" and when Carson takes a piece he says "take two" like Papa Jerry always told him.


I am sadden by my Grandpa's passing but I do truly know and believe that Carson has the best Guardian Angel up there. It is hard at night when we say our prayers and the first person Carson prayers for still is his "Papa Jerry". It is hard when he asks me where his Papa Jerry is at but I know I can keep his memory alive so Carson will always remember that he had a wonderful relationship with one of the best Great Grandpa's he could have!










3 comments:

  1. He is watching over you now Amanda!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Amanda. Losing a wonderful grandparent is so terribly difficult. Know he is now in a better place, loving you the same. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Written so well, and you were blessed to have him in your life and you in his!
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete